- Meeting called to order by Mandy at 7:03. Seconded by Heather.
- Introductions: Mandy Shonak, Co-President, Joanna Anderson, Heather Modzelewski, Co-Vice President, Allison Hill, Chris Castonguay, Treasurer, Jennifer Oliver, SES Principal, Stacey Brown, Co-Vice President, Keeley Joyal, MBA student, Mark Maciolek, MBA teacher, Pat Clark, Secretary and SES Media Specialist.
- Secretary’s report: Approval of Minutes will be postponed until next meeting, as we did not have a complete report. Mandy will email Rob Kepner for completed minutes.
- Treasurer’s report: Chris Castonguay: Taxes were sent to accountant. Insurance has been paid and we are up to date. Checks are coming in for the “opt out”; we are just under $2,000 currently. A reminder needs to be sent, attaching the PDF. Motion to approve the treasurer’s report by Stacey, seconded by Allison and Heather.
- Presentation by Mark Maciolek, MBA Language Arts teacher, re: Kathy Cannon Wiechman, author of Like a River, a civil war historical novel. She has written 2 more since. Mark would like her to present to our grades 6-8 students on February 6th. She would be staying at Mark’s house. Keeley Joyal, 8th grade student, presented a petition of 122 student signatures in favor of bringing her to our school. She gave us a synopsis of what her first two books were about, giving examples of the connections between language arts and history and the power of writing. Her cost is $1500 plus $250 travel expenses. The drama club would use their proceeds to purchase books for the students. Discussion of this proposal was held following the exit of Mark and Keeley. Until we know the budget from the Cultural Enrichment Chair, who was not present at the meeting, the formal motion to approve this request is postponed. A tentative motion to approve, pending the information was passed unanimously
- Events: Halloween Happenings report from Stacey. It is next Thursday, 10/20. Lack of volunteers for set up/take down. Donations of candy still needed. Trick or treating is free, an optional charge from Sonny’s for other activities. A fortune-teller will be available this year.
- Book Fair: Allison Hill. No book fair at MBA this year, but 6th grade will be invited to the elementary school before or during school at SES. Allison has a committee of 4, with volunteers.
- Cultural Enrichment: no report
- Coupon books: Emily LeTourneau, chair, no report
- Gift Cards & XL Center: Brittany Dwyer, chair, no report
- Raffles: Stacey Brown—she will have them for conferences. She had a suggestion to use classroom parent coordinators as resources for classrooms to create baskets.
- Square One Art: In the process of being completed now, due date 11/4. Liz McEvoy and Paul Dailey are in charge at SES, Sue Koulisis at MBA.
- General Discussion: Next meeting date: 11/10 at 3:30 at SES. Meetings will be second Thursday of every month alternating between MBA at 7 PM and SES at 3:30. Meetings held in media centers.
- Meeting adjourned at 8:10 by Mandy.
Respectfully submitted on 10/14/16
Pat Clark, Secretary, SES Media Specialist